Its clear that we love Ann Arbor and all it has to offer:) Even so, there are times when we feel like going for a drive, admiring new routes and experiencing something just a little different. Our itchy feet take on various forms – I mean sometimes we’d like to pack a bag and not be back home that night…or the next, and sometimes we just want to throw on old jeans and find someplace to have lunch. Yeah, we may still need to brave the I94 (gulp) but finding different flavors is fun.
- Royal Oak, MI – Royal Oak is about an hour away and features a great downtown area with unique stores and restaurants.
- Ferndale, MI – Also about an hour away.
- Ypsilanti, MI – Colorful and nearby.
We often just get in the car and we’re off to a new place on a whim – without putting much research into our destination. Sometimes we don’t find much – but sometimes we’re pleasantly surprised! Here are a few places we’ve checked out where we did not find much going on, or places to just hang out – but if you think differently or have a suggestion – please leave a comment and perhaps we’ll try for ourselves!
- Portage Lake – this was a nice scenic drive and we spotted a few herons. It looked really peaceful, but we could not find nearby restaurants or pubs that would keep us around even for an afternoon.
- St. Clair Shores – we were told this is a great place to visit, but we could not find a downtown or lakeside area at which to spend some time.
- Monroe – for a lakeside town, we just didn’t find much going on – do you know of something to check out?